Archive for the ‘Water for fitness’ Category
Summer is here and the time is right for getting wet! You don’t have to stop exercising now that’s it’s hot; just change it up. Dip into the refreshing water. Since water provides 10-15X more resistance than air. you can burn more calories and gain overall toning quickly while burning 3 1/2 times more calories than if you walked at an average pace.
You don’t have to know how to swim or need fancy equipment. Two pool noodles are about all you’ll need.
1. Psuedo lap swim – Walking in the water while the arms windmill complete rotations. Walk at least 15 minutes.
2. Water walking – To add intensity speed up the pace or use water dumbbells as you swing your arms through the water. Try to walk at least 15 minutes without stopping
3. Leg Lifts – One leg at a time swings front to back 10x then out to side pulling the leg in to the center of the body.
4. Tread Water – This is a more challenging exercise but SO effective. In deeper water lift your feet off of the bottom and do a gentle scissor kick as your arms are out to the sides sculling hands (making figure 8’s on the water surface)
5. Noodle or Kickboard – This is a challenging exercise. Hold the noodle or kickboard in front of you, lay on your belly and start kicking your feet. The object is to propel yourself across the pool surface. Start with 5 minutes and work your way up.
It’s fun, but make sure you are drinking plenty of water! You may not feel thirsty in the water but you still sweat.
Need some extra help and have your own pool? Let me assist your pool workout with a private one hour session. Or, get your friends together and I’ll lead a fun water fitness class for your group.